Thursday, September 6, 2018

Summer in the Garden

Summer Flowers


It never amazes me how hard we work through Spring for our Summer flowers.
Zinnias, Sunflowers and of course Dahlias are some of the summer flowers we are working on through Spring.


Then all of sudden you realize Spring is over when you notice its the third week of June.
Its time to look up and see what you worked on last season that is finally blooming.
Although this year it was an easy thing to happen as we had so late of frost and lots of rain.

Then all of sudden the Sping flowers are blooming.
Sweet Peas

One thing I like to do in my gardening style is grow vegetables, fruit and herbs amoung my flowers.
This is called companion gardening.


The other thing I do is grow veritcal.



You can get a lot more growing in your space if you grow up.
So when you are training your cucumbers to grow veritcally you can also think about a flower
you can grow along the cucumbers.
Such as Bachelor Bottons, or Centaurea in blue is always nice.

This gives you something pretty to look at when you walk into your garden.

The other plant  I do this with is my Dahlias and tomatoes.  The reason is they
have a lot of the same requirements.  So, this bed I am wanting to grow my Dahlias in
will get a good dose of ash from the woodstove early in the season where I have left the bed bare. This makes stronger stems in both Dahlias and Tomatoes later in the season.  Especially, since these two plants are started so far in advance.  Presprouting the Dahlias so they become plants before they go into the ground is something I practice.  Then the tomatoes also are a good size before they go into the ground.


  Just like in the picture I like to use bamboo as I love the natural look it brings to the garden.
It can be a little investment but it does last many years so your not purchasing it all the time.
Planting closely spaced plants doesn't allow the weeds to come in as easy.

Then we have mulching which is very important as you don't want your soil to bare.
This is how the nutrients that you put into your soil starts to leach out when the soil is not covered.
There are a number of ways you can mulch.
I typically use straw in my garden due to it being able to decompose and help my soil.
You can also use wood chips or leaves.
So for all you growers out there that have small spaces this is very helpful for you.

Summer flowers that just show up when it is late June is Purple Coneflowers also called
Echinacea.
Echinacea
These are perennials as they produce flowers and then go to seed.
If you want more of these then just let them fall to the ground.  If you
don't then make sure to cut them off and store the seeds.
Happy Growing!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Summer in the Garden

Summer Flowers It never amazes me how hard we work through Spring for our Summer flowers. Zinnias, Sunflowers and of course Dahlia...